Sunday, June 16, 2024

Pentecost 4, Year B (2024)

Proper 12 :: Ezekiel 17:22-24; Psalm 92:1-4, 12-15; II Corinthians 5:6-17; Mark 5:6-17

This is a homily given at Christ Lutheran Church (ELCA), in Gettysburg, Pennsylvania, on Sunday, June 16, 2024 by Fr. Gene Tucker.


"GROWTH AND CHANGE"

(Homily text: Mark 4:26-34)

Some years ago, there was a wonderful comedy show on Public Broadcasting called "Red Green". Red Green originated in Canada, and its weekly presentation took place in a men's clubhouse.  Each week, the show would open the same way, with the men in the club filing into the clubhouse, where the sat down on benches.

The leader of the clubhouse would come in and say, “All rise for the men’s pledge”.[1]

Part of that pledge went this way: “I’m a man, and I can change, I guess.”

Perhaps we’d do well to remove some of the burden on men, and alter that pledge to say “I’m a human being, and I can change, I guess.”

Another change we might make, one that is of importance to each of us as Christian believers, would be to say, “I’m a Christian believer, a follower of Jesus Christ, and God expects me to look for change in my life and in the lives of others.”

Change (and growth) are at the heart of the two short parables that our Lord told His original group of disciples, the ones we hear this morning.

The first parable reminds us that it is God who will bring about change and growth, perhaps in ways that we might not understand completely. Put another way, we could say that the parable reminds us that “God’s got this”.

The second parable assures us that growth and change are inevitable. From small beginnings, God will ensure growth at the time of maturity, in His good time and on His schedule.

Perhaps, to the early churches in Rome that Mark may have been writing to, these two parables were meant to encourage and to strengthen their faith and their resolve to persevere in the face of harsh persecution.[2]

When we think of change, and of God’s ways of bringing about change, we might remember and recall the big ways in which God does those things. For example, ancient Israel remembered God’s deliverance of His people from bondage in Egypt, the parting of the Red Sea, the giving of the Law on Mount Sinai, the water from the rock in the wilderness, and the provision of manna in the wilderness.

For Christians, the sending of God’s Son fits the thrust of both of today’s parables, for God’s work in sending His Son is God’s way of working, and the small beginnings of Jesus’ sojourn among us began in small and humble ways, but it didn’t end that way.

In our own more recent history, we recall God’s work through the agency of Martin Luther and the other reformers.

As much as we might want to cry out with the prophet Isaiah and say, “O, that you would rend the heavens and come down”[3] and fix all the world’s problems, God’s way is often not of the big and dramatic variety.

The truth is that God’s locus of activity is often in the human heart, mind and soul. God’s works in mysterious ways to change human beings from the inside out.

Since this is Father’s Day, I can’t think of a better illustration of God’s ways of working, mysteriously, to bring about change on my father’s life. It is a tale of small beginnings and great and wonderful endings.

One Saturday afternoon, my father admitted to my mother that he was having chest pains. My mother, who was a formidable force and not one to be trifled with, told him that he was going to go to the hospital.

My dad objected to that idea. (Now we’re back to “I’m a man, and I can change, I guess”….but only if you absolutely force me to!)

He went to the hospital. And it was a good thing he did, because in the wee hours of Sunday morning, he had a massive heart attack. His heart stopped. The doctors and nurses came running, and got his heart started again. But then it stopped. Back and forth the battle was waged over a three-hour period. In the end, they were successful.

In the morning, the doctor came in to see my dad and said, “Jess, if you want to live, there’ll have to be some changes,”

You see, God met my dad at the end of life’s road. And, in essence, God said to my dad, “OK, Jess, do I have your attention now?”

Changes there were.

From that time forward, my father, who’d been a longtime alcoholic, never again took a drink. My father, who’d been running away from God for much of his adult life, withdrawing into a world of regret over unfulfilled dreams and aspirations, found God again, and was found by God again.

Little did my mother know that her prayers, her constant prayers over a thirty-year period, were about to be answered, but in God’s way and in God’s time. You see, my mother, in addition to being a formidable force to deal with, was also a prayer warrior.

Each one of us who have gone through the waters of baptism are enlisted in the work of changing and growing into the full measure of Christ. As we do, we can bear witness to the fulness of life, the depth of meaning, and the joy of being in a loving relationship with God.

Then, we can turn around and bear witness to all these good things, and to the fact that God is a God of second chances, of new growth, and of a new life.

Truly, it has been said that the Christian faith is more often caught than taught.

Thanks be to God, who brings about change and new life.

AMEN.

 


[1]   My memory isn’t as good as I thought. The Men’s Pledge is actually the “Man’s Prayer” in the show. The prayer is a bit different than I’d remembered. It says, “I’m a man, and I can change, if I have to, I guess.”

[2]   Many scholars today believe that Mark’s gospel account was the first one written, perhaps not too many years after the Emperor Nero’s persecution of the Christian community following the Great Fire in Rome in the year 64 AD.

[3]   Isaiah 64:1