Sunday, June 26, 2016

Pentecost 6, Year C (2016)

Proper 8 ::  I Kings 19: 1–16, 19–21; Psalm 16; Galatians 5: 1, 13–25; Luke 9: 51–62

This is a homily by Fr. Gene Tucker, given at St. John's Church in Huntingdon, Pennsylvania on Sunday, June 26, 2016.

“TOTAL DEDICATION TO GOD’S CALL”
(Homily texts: I Kings 19: 15–16, 19–21 & Luke 9: 51-62)

It’s not often that the Old Testament reading and the Gospel text which are appointed to be read and heard this morning are so well matched, one to the other. But we are blessed to hear the accounts of two individuals who singularly followed God’s call:  The prophet Elisha and the Lord Jesus.
In a sense, the events that came into their lives marked a division point between what had been before, and what followed afterward. Elisha’s call from the prophet Elijah caused him to destroy his teams of oxen and the plowshares he’d been using before Elijah called him and laid his mantle upon him. The destruction of the plows and the teams meant that there was no going back to the way things had been before Elijah’s voice called him into service for God. In much the same way, Luke tells us that Jesus “set his face”[1] to go to Jerusalem, where He will confront the powers-that-were in His day, where He will suffer, die and be raised again on the third day. Jesus’ decision to resolutely head to Jerusalem marks a point-of-decision, making what follows quite different from what had been before.
It occurs to me that one way to describe these points-of-decision is to look at what happens when a person takes the oath of enlistment and becomes a member of the armed services of our country. And – it so happens – that this coming Friday, July 1st, marks the day that (many years ago) I began my U. S. Army basic training at Ft. Dix, New Jersey, so these memories are quite fresh in my mind.
Allow me to use the image of enlisting in the service as a vehicle to describe our Christian response to God’s call.
The beginning of my introduction to Army life began as so all others do, with an oath of enlistment. Then, all of us who’d taken that oath were shipped off to our basic training location.
Like many others, I’d made the mistake of bringing some books with me to basic training. Those books, as well as all other personal items, disappeared, never to be seen again. Even our eyeglasses were changed from civilian-looking ones into acceptable (ugly!) Army-issue ones. It seems to me that this transforming process is a lot like Elisha’s getting rid of every aspect of his old life before God called him into service.
Then, there was that Army-issue haircut, one of the fastest and ugliest I’ve ever had. (I hate to admit it, but I have ridge down the middle of my head, and that Army haircut exposed that defect in my appearance for all to see….photos taken of me in that timeframe are truly dorky!). But getting that haircut was just another part of setting my former life aside. I was a soldier now, property of the U. S. Government, genuine Government Issue (GI). In fact, we often called one another “GI”. The drill sergeants called us “Trainee” (and some other names that my profession does not allow me to repeat!)
As this division point between my former, civilian life and my new life as a soldier got underway, I had to shed every trace of my former, civilian life (possessions, eyeglasses, haircut, e.g.). So, as I face this new life and the challenges that lay ahead, it seemed to me that the best way to get through basic training would be to resolve to master every task and hardship that came along. “Just make the determination to get through this, and to do everything as best you can,” I told myself.
Jesus did the very same thing, setting His face to go to Jerusalem, knowing what would happen there. His determination meant that he would have to steadfastly face all the hardships that would await Him there.
Being a soldier meant that this new identity would be the main, governing one for the remainder of my time on active duty. Oh, yes, I did continue to have other things in my life, things like a family and friends, for example. But the call to military duty surpassed all those other considerations.
Jesus, as he made His way to Jerusalem, didn’t set aside His friends as the time of His ordeal in Jerusalem drew near, for He spent time with Mary and Martha and their brother, Lazarus, in the village of Bethany, which is southeast of Jerusalem as He made His way to the Holy City.
Some Christians are on active duty, for they have taken a vow to totally dedicate themselves to God’s service. Monks and nuns are examples of such a total dedication to God.
But most Christians are not in fulltime, totally-dedicated ministry. They are like members of the reserves of the armed forces or perhaps the National Guard, persons whose lives have a military part and a civilian part.
And therein lies a challenge, for being in part-time ministry to God means that we must balance our dedication to God with the other demands and challenges of life. Yes, we, like those full-time, totally dedicated Christians (like monks and nuns) have taken the oath of enlistment to follow God at our baptisms. But we are called to live out our lives in the everyday world. We are called to “proclaim by Word and example the Good News of God in Christ”, as our Baptismal Covenant states, in the communities in which we live and among the people we rub elbows with.
The challenge for us part-timers is to bring total dedication to our baptismal identity, allowing that new identity (like having a new identity as a soldier) to color every act and every task that comes our way.
May the Lord assist us in that challenge, that we may be “soldiers for God” in the world around us.
AMEN.




[1]   The Authorized Version (King James) adds the word “steadfastly” to the phrase “set his face”.