Sunday, April 19, 2015

Easter 3, Year B

Acts 3: 12 - 19; Psalm 4; I John 3: 1 - 7; Luke 24: 36b - 48

A homily by Fr. Gene Tucker, given at St. John’s Church, Huntingdon, Pennsylvania on Sunday, April 19, 2015.

“THE LAST TIME,
THE NEXT TIME, 
AND THE IN-BETWEEN TIME”
(Homily text:  I John 3: 1 - 7)

            We begin this morning with a personal confession:

            “I know I haven’t made a mistake since the last time, and I know I won’t make another mistake until the next time, and in between those two times, I’m good.”

            Now, let’s modify that statement a little (italics shown for emphasis):

            “I know I haven’t done something wrong since the last time, and I know I won’t do something wrong until the next time, and in between those two times, I’m good.”

            And yet another modification follows here (also with italics):

            “I know I haven’t sinned since the last time, and I know I won’t sin again until the next time, and in between those two times, I’m good.”

            The issue of our life in God as we find it in our relationship to the Father through the Son, and the serious matter and reality of sin, is the topic that is put before us in our epistle reading from the First Letter of John, heard this morning.

            The writer says, “No one who abides in him (in the Father through the Son) sins; no one who sins has either seen him or known him.”

            And just a bit earlier, the writer says this:  “Everyone who commits sin is guilty of lawlessness, sin is lawlessness.”

            And yet a bit earlier, the writer says this:  “….All who have this hope in him purify themselves, just as he is pure.”

            Is the standard put before us of our life in God – as we hear it in First John – impossibly high to attain, given the reality of the “last time, the next time, and the in-between time”?

            Reflecting on my own personal Christian life, I’d say that standard is impossibly high to attain.  I know myself to be a “fully-trained sinner”.  I know how to do bad things, I don’t need any training in how to do those bad things, and I find that the distance between the “last time”, the “next time” and the “in-between time” to be short, so short that sometimes the “last time”, and the “next time” crowd out any “in-between” time.

            I can safely say with St. Paul, “So I find it to be a law that when I want to do what is good, evil lies close at hand.”[1]  A bit later on, Paul will add, “Wretched man that I am!  Who will save me from this body of death."[2]

            Then what are we to make of these impossibly high standards, given the reality that we know ourselves to be “fully-trained” sinners?

            Perhaps just this is the point:  We are called to be ever mindful of the purity of God as we see that purity in the person of Jesus Christ.  Think of that standard of purity as a yardstick…unless we are aware of the full measure of God’s holiness, it can become very easy to think that our standard of holiness is good enough.  But, as Christians, we are called to be mindful of the contrast between God’s standards and our own, in order that we might attain – with God’s help – an ever higher standard of holiness and purity.

            Is the writer of the First Letter of John painting a rosy picture that has nothing to do with everyday Christian living?  Absolutely not.  For just a short chapter earlier, the writer says this:  “If we say we have no sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in us.  But if we confess our sins, he who is faithful will forgive us our sins and cleanse us from all unrighteousness.”[3]

            So the writer is quite realistic in assessing the reality of our walk with God.  He affirms that, oftentimes, we miss the mark, we fail to meet God’s high standard of purity.

            But the goal of our Christian living is to make the distance between the “last time” and the “next time” longer and longer.

            May we, with the help of the Holy Spirit, attain to holiness of living and purity in our walk with God.

AMEN.



[1]   Romans 7: 21
[2]   Romans 7: 24
[3]   I John 1: 8 - 9