Sunday, February 01, 2015

Epiphany 4, Year B


Deuteronomy 18:15-20; Psalm 111; I Corinthians 8:1b-11; Mark 1:21-28

A homily by Fr. Gene Tucker, given at The Cathedral Church of St. Paul and Apostle, Springfield, Illinois on Sunday, February 1, 2014
 



“A (BRIEF) TREATISE ON SALVATION”
(Homily text:  Mark 1: 21–28)

            The story is told about the time that the Archbishop of Canterbury, William Temple (Archbishop of Canterbury from 1942 – 1944), was traveling by train.  Someone on the train asked him, “Archbishop, are you saved?”  In reply, the Archbishop said, “I have been saved, I am being saved, I shall be saved.”

            This statement has been variously ascribed to a number of persons.  But regardless of whoever it was who said it (and the fact is that there may be more than one person who did), the statement points to the nature of our salvation.  Salvation has to do with God’s work to save us.

            The statement points to the reality that God’s saving work, done in us, is a process.  It is not a one-time event.

            The statement points backward into the past:  “I have been saved.”

            The statement points to the immediacy of the present:  “I am being saved.”

            The statement points forward into the future:  “I shall be saved.”

            What assurance do we have that God is able to save us?   And in particular, what assurance do we have as we look at Jesus’ life, healings, and work that would assure us that God has made possible our salvation through the person and work of Jesus?

            Today’s gospel account gives us a basis, I believe.

            So, let’s look at each phases of the salvation process, past, present and future, for today’s reading provides us with a basis to believe in God’s saving work done in the past and in the present.  And, by implication, it points forward into the future salvation that shall be ours.

            As we look at the past event of our salvation, we have to begin with the fact of baptism. For in baptism, we have been buried with Christ in a death like His, and we rise up out of the water into a resurrection like His.  (Here, I am quoting St. Paul as he describes what baptism does in Romans 6: 3 – 9).

            The early Church knew how to conduct baptisms.  They immersed people fully under the water, three times.  Each time, one person of the Holy Trinity was invoked as the immersion took place:  “I baptize you in the Name of the Father,”  “I baptize you in the Name of the Son”, “I baptize you in the Name of the Holy Spirit.”

            But before that action took place, those who were to be baptized were asked to face the west.  (The westerly direction represented the ways of the world and the ways of evil,)  They were asked to renounce Satan and all his works.  They were then asked to turn to the east, to turn toward the Lord Jesus Christ, and were asked if they accepted Him as Savior and Lord.  (This ancient practice survives in our modern liturgy, in the questions that are asked of those being baptized….see page 302 of the Book of Common Prayer, 1979.)

            On what basis could those being baptized trust Jesus to save them?  Simply because Jesus had already conquered all the powers of evil, as we read in today’s passage.  In the synagogue in Capernahum, Jesus had silenced and had expelled an evil spirit from the one who had served as its host.  Jesus, by this action, conquers the powers of evil.

            So in baptism, we are set free from the powers of evil by the One who has demonstrated power over evil.  Moreover, in baptism, God claims us forever.  It’s as if God takes a permanent magic marker and writes on our souls, “God’s property.”

            In baptism, we turn away from the west, from the ways of sin, death, the devil and the world, and we turn to Jesus Christ and begin a new life, a new walk with Him.

            In the present time, however, we continue to be in need of God’s saving work.

            I won’t presume to answer for you, but I find in myself a continuing desire to return to the ways of the world, the ways of sin, death, self-absorption and the ways of evil.  I want to turn westward again, into those ways I know so well.

            I am fond of saying that I am praying for a long life, for I am a “work in progress”.  Indeed so.  I find that my walk with God, in the things I think, the things I do, the things I say, I often make two steps forward, and then one backward.  Then, a burst of God-driven direction takes place and I make three steps forward, only to fall backward again.

            St. Paul lamented this spiritual reality.  Writing in chapter seven of his wonderful letter to the churches that were in Rome, he admits that he knows the right things to do, but finds within himself that he does not do them.  “Wretched man that I am!” he will exclaim.

            St. Paul’s admission should give each of us comfort.  If this great giant of a saint struggles, isn’t it safe to say that we will, too?

            And yet, in this present time and in this present life, Jesus’ teachings, those teachings that are with authority because they come directly from the mind of God, serve to show me the right way, God’s way.  In the Lord’s time on earth, the scribes’ authority rested on the basis of the Law, the Torah, of Moses.  They would often say, “The Law says so and so.”  But Jesus’ teachings rested on the authority of God the Father, received directly from the Father.

            So Jesus’ teachings provide clear light for the pathway of faith.  They are the source of God’s continuing saving action, drawing us closer to God, lighting the pathway when we step off the narrow way.

            And so, what of the time that is yet to be?

            How can we rely on Jesus Christ’s ability to save us when this life’s journey is done?

            Looking at my own walk, I will readily admit to you that I often think that I am immortal, that I will live forever.  But even as I say so, I am also aware that there is a growing amount of evidence that I will not live forever.  Someday, my life in this life will be done.

            Then what?

            How can Jesus save us when death comes?

            That assurance comes in the fact that Jesus has already conquered death, too, just in the same way that He conquered the powers of evil in the synagogue in Capernahum those many years ago, as we read in today’s gospel text.  Jesus rose from the tomb on Easter Sunday morning, shattering all the designs of the evil one to separate the Lord (and us) from God for ever.

            The resurrection stands as the proof that God raised Jesus from the dead, and that God has the power to save us from eternal death, as well.

            Thank you, Lord God, for demonstrating your power to save us in times past, in times present, and in times to come.

AMEN.