Thursday, April 05, 2012

Maundy Thursday, Year B

Exodus 12:1-14a; Psalm 78:14-20, 23-25; I Corinthians 11:23-32; John 13:1-15

A homily by:   Fr. Gene Tucker
Given at:         Trinity Church, Mt. Vernon, Illinois; Thursday, April 5, 2012

“REMEMBERING THAT FIRST NIGHT”

(Introductory note:  This homily is given as if it was one of Jesus’ disciples, remembering back on the events of Maundy Thursday some years later.)

Greetings in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, dear brothers and sisters….

It’s been many years now since the events of that night.  But I can still see His eyes, as He knelt before me, a towel wrapped around His waist, as He washed my feet.

My reaction was a whole lot like many of the others…. “What are you doing?” I asked myself,  “this is the work of a slave.”

Since you are not of my time and culture, I have to explain a little…You see, when I was alive, it was common practice for the host of a gathering to have a servant or a slave wash everyone’s feet.  After all, we all wore sandals in those days, and the roads were dusty. 

But here, the host, Jesus, was the one who took the role of the slave.

You have read about Simon’s reaction, haven’t you?  (I keep forgetting, you know him better by his nickname, “Peter”.)

He said, “Lord, you shall never wash my feet!”    (I can still hear his voice…he was almost yelling in protest!)

 (Peter – before the Lord’s resurrection at least – blew hot and cold.  One time, he’d seem to understand the Lord very well.  But in the next moment, he’d show how ignorant he was….All that changed after the Lord rose from the dead on Easter Sunday morning.  Peter became our powerful and consistent leader.  Wow, what a transformation!)

Anyway, he said, “Lord, you shall never wash my feet!”

And the Lord looked up at him and said, “If I don’t wash your feet, you will have no part of me.”

Then Peter said (in his typical fashion – remember what I said a minute ago about Peter “blowing hot and cold”) said, “Then wash all of me.”

But I’m getting a little beside my main point, talking about Peter.

We didn’t understand it then, but what Jesus did for us that night was to show us that He was not only our leader, but He was also our servant.

Washing our feet confirmed that He had come to serve us.  He wanted us to know that fact for certain so much that He even said so.  He said, “I am among you as one who serves.”

So much about that night puzzled us at the time….it took us awhile to understand it.

I mean, for example, think of the Passover meal, which is why we’d gathered in that upper room in the first place…..

Jesus took a piece of bread in His hands and said, “This is my body, which is given for you.”  Then He gave it to us to eat.

What did that mean?  “This is my body.”

We didn’t understand.  We still don’t understand, completely.

For after Jesus said, “This is my body,” then He said, “Whenever you eat of it, do it in remembrance of me.”

Why – we wondered at the time – was it necessary for us to remember Him?  Was He going away, or going to leave us?

We didn’t understand.

Then, He said as He took the cup of wine, “This is my blood of the new covenant, which is poured out for you and for many for the forgiveness of sins.”  And then He added, “Whenever you drink it, do this in remembrance of me.”

Again we wondered, “Was He going to leave us sometime soon?  What does it mean that His blood is to be poured out?”

We didn’t understand, at the time, at least.

Well, it’s been many years now since the Lord spoke those words, and did those things.  Most of us who were His original disciples are spread out now across the world, bringing the good news to anyone who will listen.

But we still celebrate the feast of the bread and the wine.  I see, from looking around at your church (we would have loved to have a wonderful building like you have!) that you still celebrate the feast of the bread and the wine.

The Lord assured us that He would be with us until the very end of the age.  We original disciples believe that the feast of the bread and the wine is one way that the Lord is with us, as we gather together in His name.  After all, He said, “This is my body, this is my blood.”  So, the Lord Jesus is really present with us, here tonight.

So, if it’s alright with you, I’d like to stay for your celebration.  It will bring me back to that very first night when I sat near the Lord and heard Him say, “This is my body, this is my blood.”