Sunday, February 27, 2011

8 Epiphany, Year A

Isaiah 49: 8 – 16a
Psalm 131
I Corinthians 4: 1 – 5
Matthew 6: 24 – 34

A homily by: Fr. Gene Tucker, given at: Trinity Church, Mt. Vernon, Illinois; Sunday, February 27, 2011.

“GIVE US THIS DAY….”

(Homily text: Matthew 6: 24 – 34)

“Give us this day our daily bread….”

This familiar line from the Lord’s Prayer seems to sum up Jesus’ teaching, which we hear this morning. Just as the Lord asks us to pray for our daily needs in this line from the prayer which He gave us to pray, so today does He remind us to focus on our daily concerns, and to trust our heavenly Father to provide for our daily needs.

Jesus knows all about the human condition. He knows that we spend a lot of time worrying! He knows we spend a lot of time projecting what might happen in the future.

The Lord seems to be mirroring the urgency with which we human beings can often address our needs, paraphrasing our questions by saying, “What shall we eat?” or “What shall we drink?” or “What shall we wear?”

If we would take a moment to reflect on how much time during a given day that we might ask just those sorts of questions, or some other ones that are similar, it might be that we will come to the conclusion that we spend an enormous amount of time worrying about just these sorts of basic needs.

After all, the Lord is drawing our focus toward the everyday “stuff” of life: food, drink and clothing.

The wonderful qualities that God has given to us often work against us.

Consider, for example, the human ability to foresee the possible outcomes that might result from events that are happening today. We humans can plan ahead, knowing from past experience what the likely sequence of events might be.

That’s an admirable quality to possess, and one that is absolutely necessary for living life in an unpredictable and often chaotic world. For example, we make plans to deal with natural disasters like storms.

But that same ability to plot out possible courses of events can also lead us into a frenzy of worry and concern over what might come to pass.

Consider, for example, the high levels of concern over the possible ramifications of the popular uprisings which have spread through the Middle East. Our gasoline prices reflect the impact of these events, which are taking place nearly half a world away. (We do, indeed, live in a world in which our lives are closely intertwined with others, events in one place affecting lives in another to a degree never seen before.)

So, many worry, saying, “What will be the impact of rising energy prices?” “Will we have a two-staged recession, caused by rising prices for energy, and for everything related to energy?”

Against such projections and such worry, our Lord says this, “Therefore, do not be anxious, saying, “What
shall we eat?” or “What shall we drink?” or “What shall we wear?”

Why?

Here’s the reason: Our Lord reminds us that our heavenly Father knows that we need all these things, adding that, if we will seek God’s kingdom, first of all, then all these other needs will be taken care of, as well.
Now all of this might sound good in theory. But our common sense tells us that, in practice, it might not work out so well. Sounds like “pie-in-the-sky”, we might be tempted to say.

But reflect with me, if you will. Is it really “pie-in-the-sky”, wishful thinking that works well in theory, but not in practice?

Let’s embark on a journey of self-reflection. We are armed with our own practical, life experience. Reflect with me on your own life’s journey to this point.

It’s appropriate that we ask ourselves a series of questions:

1. How has God taken care of me?
2. When hope seemed to be gone, how did God’s presence and God’s care make themselves known?
3. How did God use other Christians to help provide the things that I needed for life (physical needs, financial support, emotional support, prayer support, e.g.)?
4. In retrospect, what good did the worry do that I engaged in, as I focused on my problems?

Over this past week, I’ve been reflecting on my own life’s journey. What occurred to me was that God has consistently “been there” for me, through good times and through bad times, through very blessed times and through times of hardship and loss.

What an awesome God!

I can say truthfully that God has been my support, my foundation, and all the flood waters of life have never been able to wash away that foundation.

But to come to that realization, I had to admit two things:

1. My own natural abilities to reason, to project the future and to see possible outcomes of current events was often more of a hindrance than a help, for those qualities led me to think that I had to find a solution to the problems I faced. God sometimes got forgotten in the midst of all that worry.

2. Once I’d come to the realization that I wasn’t alone in my problems, then I could see God at work (often through the presence of others in my life). Just as the Lord says today, “Your heavenly Father knows that you need them all.”

And so, with John Newton, the writer of the text to the wonderful hymn Amazing Grace, I can say this:
“Through many dangers, toils and snares
I have already come.
“Tis grace that brought me safe thus far,
And grace will lead me home.”
I know that I would not have made it this far in my life without God’s presence and support.

May each of us be able to come to the same conclusion!

AMEN.